| || Adventures of Superman |
created by Whitney Ellsworth and Robert J. Maxwell
First time travel: 23 Apr 1955
In the first episode of Season 3, “Through the Time Barrier” (23 Mar 1955), Professor Twiddle’s time machine takes the staff of the Daily Planet back to prehistoric times. I don’t know whether there was any other time travel.
Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! Look—up in the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Superman!
Yes, it’s Superman, strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who—disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannored reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper—fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way!
| || The Time Patrol Stories|
by Poul Anderson
First story: The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May 1955
Former military engineer Manse Everard is recruited by the Time Patrol to prevent time travelers from making major changes to history (history bounces back from the small stuff).
For me, the logic of these stories pushes in a good direction, but still leaves one gaping hole that’s evinced by the fate of Manse’s compatriot Keith Denison in “Brave to Be a King”—namely, what happened to the younger Denison? Perhaps my problem is simply that I don’t grok ℵℵ-valued logic.
The stories have been collected in various volumes, the most complete of which is the 2006 Time Patrol that contains all but The Shield of Time.
- Time Patrol (May 1955) F&SF
- Delenda Est (Dec 1955) F&SF
- Brave to Be a King (Aug 1959) F&SF
- The Only Game in Town (Jan 1960) F&SF
- Gibraltar Falls (Oct 1975) F&SF
- Ivory, and Apes, and Peacocks (Oct 1983) in Time Patrolman
- The Sorrow of Odin the Goth (Oct 1983) in Time Patrolman
- Star of the Sea (Oct 1991) in The Time Patrol
- The Year of the Ransom (Apr 1988) about 25,000 words
- The Stranger That Is Within Thy Gates (Sep 1990) in The Shield of Time
- Women and Horses and Power and War (Sep 1990) in The Shield of Time
- Before the Gods That Made the Gods (Sep 1990) in The Shield of Time
- Beringia (Sep 1990) in The Shield of Time
- Riddle Me This (Sep 1990) in The Shield of Time
- Amazement of the World (Sep 1990) in The Shield of Time
- Death and the Knight (Jun 1995) in Tales of the Knights Templar
If you went back to, I would guess, 1946, and worked to prevent your parents’ marriage in 1947, you would still have existed in that year; you would not go out of existence just because you had influenced events. The same would apply even if you had only been in 1946 one microsecond before shooting the man who would otherwise have become your father.